Subscribe!Receive updates, plans, and other cool stuff.

The One Where We Used Chalk

As we were preparing for the arrival of our third little one, my project list was extensive. There were so many things Jess wanted done so everything would be just perfect, so when she asked me at the last minute if I could also make her a chalkboard sign for our front door, I said “sure, Hun.”

The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized this would actually be pretty easy, and not only that, but I was pretty sure I already had everything I needed to do this.

I started with a nice piece of plywood I had leftover from a previous project. I brushed off the cobwebs, sanded it nice and smooth and just like that I had the main part of my sign.

chalkboard1

I had some leftover chalkboard paint from when we painted a wall in Wally’s room. I probably went overboard with the number of coats but I figured it was easy, quick, and with a chalkboard it is probably better to have too much than not enough.

chalkboard2

When we first moved into the house we did A LOT of molding work and I happened to have a piece of this basic molding left over. I cut them to size with a 45 degree angle so I get the mitered corners, then painted them with some exterior ultra white paint.

chalkboard3

Once dry, I clamped all the pieces in place to make sure those corners fit perfectly. Then I just screwed them on from the back using 1 1/4″ wood screws.

chalkboard4

We wanted an easy way to update the sign when we wanted so I installed an eye-bolt under the roof overhang. I then installed a couple screws on back, one on each side near the top, but left the heads out about half an inch.

My rope is tied to one, then goes up through the eye bolt back down to the other screw.

chalkboard5

Lessons learned: The sign ended up blowing around a lot in the wind, so I put a couple of screws into the siding a little bit below the sign. So now the sign almost rests on those screws. The rope still supports most of the weight, but the bottom screws keep if from blowing away from the house and banging back into it.

Also, I might change that eye bolt out some day with a hook. That way, taking it off and on is a simple matter of taking it off the hook, instead of untying it and pulling the rope through the eye.


Here are some of the tools and supplies I used in this project. If you are interested in one, take a look. You get a fun product, I get a fun commission. Thanks!

One Comment

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *