Subscribe!Receive updates, plans, and other cool stuff.

The One That Brought Balance

Abby and I found we had an afternoon free and wondered what we should do. She had recently started getting into gymnastics so we thought it would be fun to build her a balance beam.

For this projects we made it up as we went along. We literally walked the aisle of Home Depot (a favorite past time of mine) and we came across a floor flange, T-joint, and 12″ metal threaded pipes. Just what we needed.

beam1

Some quick assembly and we had ourselves some balance beam legs.

beam2

We used three 2×4’s I already had in my shop, nailing two together with one on top. We ran to Jo-Ann’s for some fabric and foam (Abby picked the color).

I used my staple gun to quickly attache one side of the fabric to the bottom of the beam.

beam3

I then attached the other side and trimmed the fabric.

beam4

The floor flanges screwed on right to the bottom.

beam5

And we have ourselves a balance beam! I wrapped some scrap foam around the legs and covered them with some white duct tape for safety.

This thing is stable enough for me to walk on it. I won’t be performing any¬†Omelianchiks but I think I can making it across before falling.

beam6


Here are some of the tools and supplies I used in this project. If you are interested in one, click to take a look. You get a fun product, I get a fun commission. Thanks!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *