Subscribe!Receive updates, plans, and other cool stuff.

The One With Sprinkles On Top

Today, it was hot. It got above 90 degrees here which I know is not much for some places, but for those of us in the Seattle area it was sweltering.

I decided there was no time like the present to build a project I had tried a few years ago but knew I could improve on. As my kids waited eagerly with swimsuits on, we built our backyard sprinkler.

This is an easy project that anyone can do. I spent less than $15 and it literally took me less than ten minutes once I started.

The materials list is pretty simple. I got two 10 foot 3/4″ PVC pipes, eight 45 degree elbow joints, one T joint, and a hose adapter.

For tools, I used my miter saw (although a hack saw would also work easily enough), a tape measure, pencil, screw gun, and a 1/16″ drill bit.

I started by measuring and cutting  at 30″, 60″, and 90″ on both pipes. That gave me 8 pieces that are each 2 1/2″ feet long.

I lined them all up and made pencil marks every 6 inches. I then drilled a 1/16″ hole at each mark. I didn’t have to be exact. In fact, I specifically drilled the first right on the mark, the second a little high, the third a little low, and the fourth right on the mark for each pipe. This will make the water spray in all different directions.


I cut one pipe exactly in half. I need to insert the T joint here. A quick check told me the T joint takes up about 1″ so I cut 1/2″ off each.

I then attached the T joint an the hose adapter.


From there I added the 45 degree elbows to each pipe, making sure they lay flat with the drilled holes up. If you want it truly water tight, you can use some PVC glue here. However I wanted the option to disassemble it to store during non-warm months.


I have a thing about octagons. I’m not sure why. I just like them a lot. Eight sides, eight 45 degree elbows, and we have a perfect octagon about 6 feet in diameter.


We are just about ready to test it so I attached the hose to the adapter and called the kids.


Success! Water streams everywhere! I could even adjust the water pressure to make the spray go higher or lower. This project was so easy, fast, inexpensive, and fun.20160605_3634

Here are some of the tools and supplies I used in this project. If you are interested in one, click to take a look. You get a fun product, I get a fun commission. Thanks!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *